Table of Contents
Window blinds come in all shapes and sizes but it’s possible to split models on the market nowadays into two styles: corded and cordless. Usually, once it comes to protecting privacy, keeping out sunlight and so on, both styles of blinds have comparable performance. However, it’s worth pointing out that various factors influence the values of blinds in use from the sun path to the measurements of windows. As a result, the winner in cordless vs. corded blinds is a topic that receives contrasting opinions from modern homeowners.
Overviews Of The Style Of Blinds
You want to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of corded and cordless blinds for windows before making up your mind? In that case, you have come to the right place. This article is going to tell you all the information that you must consider about these styles of window blinds.
Corded And Cordless Blinds: What Are They?
In layman’s terms, cordless blinds consist of models that do away with traditional cords and rely on other means of operation. One of the most common ways to operate models of the type is to pull the bottom rail up and down. Cordless blinds still incorporate cords to hold their horizontal, and sometimes vertical, slats together though. By tilting the slats of cordless blinds, people could control the amount of sunlight that passes through the windows into the rooms.
Versatile and flexible, corded blinds give a good account of themselves in quite a few settings. Via built-in cords, chains and loops, homeowners would be able to operate models of the type as they see fit without much difficulty. Similar to that of cordless counterparts, slats of corded blinds come in horizontal as well as vertical variants. Depending on the variants, people can apply side-to-side adjustments, stack the slats, divide them in the middle, etc.
Pros And Cons Of Corded And Cordless Blinds
- No-nonsense installation: The majority of cordless blinds feature a straightforward setup process. Because of that, there is no need to hire professionals to install cordless blinds to windows.
- Convenience: Thanks to the absence of cords, people don’t have to worry about dangling cords as they use cordless blinds. In addition to that, for each of the models, more than one mean of operation exist so homeowners could manipulate the slats with relative ease.
- Safety: For households with children and pets, corded blinds present the risk of strangulation. Thus, regarding safety, many consider cordless blinds to be the ones that come out on top in cordless vs. corded blinds.
- Height: To operate cordless blinds, people need to keep them within arm’s reach. That is why it’s ill-advised to install cordless blinds to tall windows.
- Trouble-free: With the operation of corded blinds being managed by the cords, homeowners rarely have to do much to raise and lower the slats. Also, on high windows, the cords of corded blinds eliminate the hassle of setting up ladders.
- Longevity: Using a time-tested design, corded blinds could last for years to come if people don’t take things to the extreme. If you have few opportunities to replace the blinds of your windows, it’s strongly recommended that you choose corded blinds.
- Maintenance: The simple operating mechanism of corded blinds means they require little attention to stay in working order. That is a big plus for those who cannot spend a lot of time on the maintenance of their blinds.
- Cords: To put it plainly, the operation of corded blinds revolves around the cords. Hence, in the case that the cords experience issues, homeowners would have a hard time using their corded blinds.
Choosing The Blinds For Windows: Guidance
Different people look for different things in window blinds so there is no such thing as a consensus about cordless vs. corded blinds. That being said, if you want to get your money’s worth, you should give these tips and tricks a look.
- Think about the windows: For usual windows, feel free to use whatever type of blinds that you wish. Still, if your windows happen to be kind of high, you need to stick to corded blinds.
- Take your family into account: Corded blinds pose no threat to adults but to children as well as pets, their cords may strangle them. Thus, it’s a good idea to keep members of your family in mind while shopping for blinds.
- Give longevity some thought: Assuming that they receive proper maintenance, cordless and corded blinds would last for years to come. Nonetheless, if you like to extend the replacement interval of your blinds for as long as possible, prioritize corded models.
Which brands sell the best window blinds?
Generally speaking, the brand of a blind seldom dictates its value so you don’t have to worry too much about brand. However, if you prefer to play it safe, you should buy your blind from popular manufacturers such as Levolor, Wayfair, Orren Ellis, etc. Though models made by the mentioned brands still leave something to be desired, they remain superior to blinds of lesser-known names. Aside from that, since the customer service of famous brands tends to be well-developed, its responsiveness to complaints is adequate for most of the time.
Could I use my blinds to regulate the temperature?
If the weather gets hot, it’s suggested that you keep your blinds closed during the day to block out sunlight and cool your rooms. If the temperature drops low, you may want to keep your blinds open throughout the day to let more sunlight in and warm the interior.
How much must I spend on blinds?
Today’s blinds reach the marker across the price points so regardless of your wallet, you should have a couple of options. For your information, depending on size, labor and so on, modern window blinds cost between $250 and $1,000. One way to avoid overspending/underspending is to compile a list of specifications and features that you desire in your blinds. With that list on hand, you can single out models that match your requirements, compare their price tags and create a sound shopping budget.
What needs to be done to keep blinds in top shape?
Once it comes to maintenance, it’s widely advised that you refer to the owner’s manual of your blinds so you don’t mess up everything. Standard blinds for windows only require periodical cleaning to stay in working order as time passes by.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.