Owing to its influence on aesthetics, the choice of siding is one of the things that people must keep in mind during house refurbishment projects. Nowadays, a lot of styles of siding exist but not many prove as good as Dutch lap and traditional sidings. Packing superb adaptability these sidings tend to supplement instead of contrasting their surrounding which adds a nice touch to the appearance of most modern households. That being said, regarding Dutch lap siding vs. traditional siding, not every homeowner shares the same opinion about the one that comes out on top.
A Summary Of The Sidings
Desire insights as you cannot make up your mind between Dutch lap and traditional siding? If that happens to be the case, this article may be of use to you. Down below, you would find the information you need to know to make the right call while choosing the siding.
Dutch Lap Siding And Traditional Siding: Overviews
- Dutch lap siding: Put together out of horizontal boards with a notch at the bottom of each plank, Dutch lap siding possesses a stylish look. Back in the old days, people used to make Dutch lap siding by hands and that led to high costs. However, thanks to recent advances in technologies, it’s possible to produce the style of the siding quickly and cheaply. Because of that, homeowners could use Dutch lap siding in large numbers with relative ease.
- Traditional siding: Also known as clapboard siding, traditional siding consists of horizontally installed, overlapping boards. Boasting a clean front, the style of the siding excels at highlighting distinct features of the houses in numerous conditions. In addition to that, in times of need, people even have an easy time combining traditional siding with other styles to create a unique design. Needless to say, with proper installation, traditional siding rarely fails to please those that specifically choose it for their house.
Comparisons Of The Sidings
Usually, once it comes to how much the sidings would endure before falling into pieces, material is the deciding factor. Nonetheless, assuming that the material is the same, Dutch lap siding is the winner in Dutch lap siding vs. traditional siding in terms of durability. Owing to the angled surfaces, Dutch lap siding could prevent rainwater, snow and so on from accumulating which reduces wear. As a result, homeowners that don’t have a lot of time to spend on repairing/replacing sidings hold the Dutch lap siding in high esteem.
As mentioned above, Dutch lap siding used to be a rather pricey style of siding but nowadays, its cost is manageable for the average homeowners. Still, compared to its traditional counterpart, Dutch lap siding remains a wee bit more expensive. For small-scale projects, the difference in cost between sidings is insignificant by all accounts. As the scope of the projects increase, people must give their wallet some thought though.
Ease Of Installation
With the intuitive clip-on and trim system, Dutch lap siding and traditional sidings need only moments to set up. That being said, sidings made from wood may require effort and professional tools during installation. Of course, you always have the option of hiring others to take care of the setup process in your stead.
Choosing Between Dutch Lap Siding And Traditional Siding: Hints
Preferences change from people to people so today’s homeowners have conflicting opinions about Dutch lap siding vs. traditional siding. However, in the case that you want to make a wise investment, you should take a look at these considerations
- Think about the theme: If you wish to “modernize” the look of your house, you won’t go wrong with the Dutch lap siding. On the other hand, if you intend to give your house a classic vibe, it’s best to use the traditional siding.
- Take into account the budget: House refurbishment projects often involve a wide range of expenses. You have money to spend? Then feel free to select whatever style of siding you like. Nonetheless, if you work on a tight budget, it’s strongly recommended that you stick to the traditional siding and save a couple of bucks.
- Keep maintenance requirements in mind: As time passes by, people have to provide maintenance to their sidings in order to keep them in good condition. With the ability to keep outdoor elements at bay to a certain extent, Dutch lap sidings need less care than traditional ones. If you lack the time and patience for siding maintenance, the Dutch lap siding is the style for you.
What is the cheapest material for sidings at the moment?
Cost fluctuates now and then but sidings that incorporate vinyl usually prove to be the most budget-friendly options available. Moreover, unlike some rumors, vinyl is able to deal with all sorts of things that the outdoors throw at it. Sidings made from vinyl come in various colors too so matching them with exterior themes is a piece of cake. On the downside, since vinyl cannot block heat, vinyl sidings may cause the temperature in the interior to rise as the weather gets hot.
How long would Dutch lap and traditional sidings last?
Quite a few factors affect the lifespan of sidings from the environment to the material. That being said, assuming that you don’t put your sidings through the extremes, you don’t have to worry about replacements for a decade.
Is it possible to repair damaged sidings?
That depends on the scale of the damages. If your siding only sustains slight damages, you could trim the boards. However, if the damages happen to be extensive, you should replace the damaged boards altogether. The replacement of boards requires several calculations to ensure fitness which means you have to be careful.
Where could I get sidings for residence?
You should be able to stock up on sidings by visiting the local hardware stores. In the case that you have appropriate tools and materials on hand, you can even make siding on your own. Assuming that you nail the measurements, your sidings would suit the exterior of your house.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.