Table of Contents
Once it comes to choosing the material for countertops in modern kitchens, quite a few people put their faith in granite. As one of the toughest natural stones, granite is able to deal with everything that people throw at it. In addition to that, manufacturers of granite countertops even offer optional finishes to fit specific settings. Among granite finishes, honed and polished stand out in terms of popularity so the topic of honed vs. polished granite captures the interest of many.
A Comparison Of The Finishes
Have a hard time choosing between honed and polished for the finish of your granite countertops? Then it’s strongly recommended that you take a look at this article. Down below is all the information that you must keep in mind about the granite finishes from definition to characteristics.
Honed And Polished: Insights
- Honed: In honed granite, the finishing process wraps up before the surface becomes shiny which leads to a satin appearance. Owing to its non-reflective nature, honed is capable of enhancing the natural color of granite in various conditions. Furthermore, the lack of shine allows honed to hide flaws in the granite and that is advantageous as time passes by. Last but not least, when it gets wet, honed is less slippery than other granite finishes in most of the cases.
- Polished: In polished granite, the finishing process proceeds until the surface achieves a glossy sheen that proves highly reflective. As a result, polished could bring out the tone of the granite with relative ease at any time regardless of ambient lighting. Additionally, since polished granite is coated, the odds of staining tend to be low which is by all accounts a big plus. Finally, thanks to the coating, the sealing frequency of polished granite is not as high as that of its competitors.
An Analysis Of The Finishes
|Honed Granite||Polished Granite|
In general, the unique aesthetic values of honed and polished granite create distinct vibes inside kitchens of today’s households. Casual and natural, honed is able to provide kitchens with a cozy atmosphere that permits everyone to relax. On the other hand, the classy profile of polished never fails to please those who desire a sophisticated look for their kitchen. Therefore, between honed and polished, no one holds an edge over the other once it comes to aesthetics.
While using granite countertops with honed finish, people have to be mindful of spills as the surface gets stained easily. Usually, it’s best to clean up spills on honed granite as soon as possible to minimize the risk of staining. In the case of countertops that incorporate polished granite, their coated surface resists staining effectively and efficiently over time. However, polished finish becomes very slippery when it comes into contact with liquid which may cause a number of issues in busy kitchens.
Homeowners don’t have to do much to keep honed as well as polished granite in top shape. By keeping the surface clean, people would have an easy time preserving the finishes in good condition for years to come. Nonetheless, it’s worth pointing out that honed granite collects, greases, hand imprints and so on more often than polished one. Aside from that, the porous surface means granite with honed finish requires frequent sealing to keep out water, moisture, etc.
Numerous factors affect the price of granite finishes so it’s natural for honed and polished to cost differently at different periods. There is a common assumption that due to the length of the finishing process, polished is more expensive than honed. Actually, the high demand for polished granite leads to excellent availability so people don’t have to spend big bucks for it. In contrast, if people want honed granite, they sometimes have to order it and that incurs extra expenses.
Choosing Between Honed And Polished: Hints
Generally speaking, the requirements for countertops change from person to person so opinions vary about honed vs. polished granite. Still, in the case that you like to get the most out of your kitchen countertops, you should check out these suggestions.
- Think about the kitchen: Versatile and flexible, granite is capable of adapting to an assortment of arrangements without much difficulty. That being said, considering its look, honed granite tends to gravitate toward kitchens with traditional themes. About polished granite, its contemporary appearance proves particularly well-suited for modern layouts. As a result, it’s a good idea to give your kitchen some thought then decide accordingly.
- Take activities into account: If you only use your kitchen from time to time on your own, feel free to select whatever finish for your granite countertops. However, if your kitchen sees extensive use by many people at once, it’s widely advised that you stick to honed granite.
- Keep maintenance in mind: So you don’t have the time to look after the finish of your granite countertops? Then it’s best to keep an eye for countertops that incorporate polished granite. With the polished finish, you don’t have to worry about spills staining the surface as you use the countertops. Also, while releasing remains necessary, the interval is long so you should have no trouble creating a sound schedule.
Could granite countertops get damaged by heat?
The temperature tolerance of granite is outstanding so granite countertops seldom sustain heat damages in use. Thus, if your countertops integrate granite, it’s possible to place boiling cookware on them at any time. Nonetheless, since granite retains heat, the spot under the cookware is going to be hot to the touch. That means you must be careful as it only takes a moment of carelessness to end up with burn injuries.
Is it wise to chop on granite countertops?
As mentioned above, not many materials can beat granite in terms of strength so the risk of cutware such as knives damaging it is minimal. In fact, the majority of knives would become dulled after coming into contact with granite a few times. That is why to preserve the cutting edge of cutware, it’s a good idea to refrain from cutting stuff on granite countertops.
How do I repair damaged granite countertops?
All in all, the toughness of granite reduces the odds of damages but that also complicates the repair process. For minor damages, a mixture of ground-up granite and epoxy should be enough to restore the appearance of your countertops. That being said, if your countertops sustain extensive damages that compromise the structural integrity, look for replacements.
What is the best way to clean granite countertops?
For most of the time, you could clean your granite countertops using a combination of water and soap. The nature of granite permits the use of cleaning solutions as well but you need to be thorough. Before applying cleaning solutions on the granite, read the ingredient list to determine whether the chemicals would affect the finish.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.