Table of Contents
With the ceiling shaping the appearance of the interior of households, choosing the style of ceiling is a task that requires a lot of consideration. At the moment, various styles exist but regarding popularity, two names stand out from the rest: knock-down and smooth. All in all, both styles of ceiling earn a shower of praise from homeowners owing to the values they provide. That being said, different people often look for different things so there is no consensus about the winner in knock-down ceiling vs. smooth ceiling.
Insights Into The Ceiling Styles
Unable to decide between knock-down and smooth for the style of your ceiling? Then this article is exactly what you need at the moment. Down below is an in-depth analysis that details characteristics of these styles of ceiling.
Knock-Down Ceiling And Smooth Ceiling: A Summary
- Knock-Down Ceiling: Generally speaking, knock-down ceiling is a style of ceiling with textures that resemble skip trowels so it possesses a “stuccoed” look. To create the knock-down ceiling, people have to cover the ceiling in thin joint compounds then scrape it using drywall knives. Like other styles of textured ceilings, knock-down ceilings excel at adding depth, hiding flaws, reducing noise and so on. However, it’s worth pointing out that the knock-down ceiling is a bit demanding in terms of maintenance.
- Smooth Ceiling: As the name suggests, smooth ceiling is a style of ceiling that lacks any kind of texture whatsoever. Because of that, homeowners don’t have to do a lot of work to incorporate smooth ceilings into their residences. Also, thanks to its adaptability, smooth ceiling is able to suit a wide range of themes in the interior with relative ease. On the downside, smooth ceiling cannot cover imperfections which is why dents, scratches, … would be obvious to everyone in the house.
A Comparison Of Styles Of Ceiling
|Knock-Down Ceiling||Smooth Ceiling|
All in all, the classic appearance of the knock-down ceiling is a good match for residences with traditional interiors. The ability to hide flaws of knock-down ceilings proves handy in old rooms that have seen extensive use as well. On the other hand, owing to its elegant profile, the smooth ceiling could blend in instead of standing down like a sore thumb inside contemporary households. Furthermore, capable of reflecting light, smooth ceiling is going to keep rooms bright without much difficulty.
To prepare the ceiling for a knock-down application, people only need to clean then prime the surface. Nonetheless, it gets slightly tedious during the application of the joint compounds, the scraping of the surface, etc. In the case of smooth ceilings, for optimal results, homeowners must invest serious time and effort into preparation. Still, the application process of smooth ceiling is straightforward so it’s possible to wrap things up before long.
The textured surface of knock-down ceiling allows particles to accumulate as time passes by so it requires regular cleaning. In addition to that, when the knock-down ceiling sustains damages, repair may be a big headache due to the need to preserve texture consistency. On the other hand, since it’s flat, smooth ceiling is simple to clean and repair for most of the time. Thus, regarding maintenance, smooth ceiling is the one that comes out on top in knock-down ceiling vs. smooth ceiling.
For your information, the layout of the ceiling affects the level of noise that people perceive in the interior. Usually, with its textured surface, knock-down ceiling could help dampen noise inside residences to a certain extent. About smooth ceiling, its influence on the nose level is by all accounts insignificant as it’s flat. Needless to say, those who desire some peace and quiet tend to rate knock-down ceiling above smooth ceiling.
The cost for materials, labor and other change from time to time but on average, knock-down ceiling cost more than its smooth counterpart. Nowadays, if people go for the knock-down ceiling, they need to be ready to pay from $500 to $1,250 for a 500-square-foot ceiling. If homeowners select the smooth ceiling, a ceiling of the same size requires an amount between $450 and $1,090. Unsurprisingly, those who cannot spend big bucks for home renovation hold smooth ceiling in high esteem.
Choosing Between Knock-Down Ceiling And Smooth Ceiling: Recommendations
Overall, the characteristics of knock-down ceiling and smooth ceiling mean one style would be more suitable than the other in particular arrangements. That is why to make a wise decision once it comes to knock-down ceiling vs. smooth ceiling, you must give the following hints a look.
- Take the house into account: While choosing the ceiling style, aspects of the house could help you determine what works best for you. For instance, if you own a modern house, it’s a good idea to use the smooth ceiling to create an up-to-date interior. In the case that your house sits in a loud neighborhood, knock-down ceilings usually grant you a measure to control the noise level. Consider everything then deduce accordingly.
- Keep ceiling maintenance in mind: If you have a flexible schedule, feel free to choose whichever style of ceiling you like. Otherwise, it’s suggested that you stick to smooth sailing to save time for more pressing matters.
- Think about the shopping budget: Home renovations involve a lot of expenses so it’s ill-advised to go all out for the ceiling. If money is not an issue to you, you may select knock-down ceiling for your house. However, if your wallet is kind of tight, you should settle for smooth ceiling to keep expenses under control.
How should I paint my ceilings?
If your house features smooth ceilings, you could paint them with relative ease using rollers. However, if you have to paint knock-down ceilings, you need to be careful while handling their textured surface. In anticipation of dripping from the ceiling, it’s best to cover the floor in cloths. Aside from that, for an even finish, cover the textured surface in multiple light coats of paint but remember to let each coat dry properly.
What is the best way to clean ceilings?
A combination of water, baking soda, vinegar and ammonia is often sufficient to clean ceilings in most of the cases. Of course, you always have the option of using cleaning solutions to clean ceilings but you must be thorough. Certain products contain chemicals that compromise the structural integrity of the ceilings if used incorrectly. For good measure, it’s strongly recommended that you read the ingredient list prior to using cleaning solutions.
Is it necessary to seal ceilings?
By sealing the ceilings, you could avoid an assortment of issues from water damages to losses of insulation. As a result, to save yourself some headaches in the future, you should spend a bit of time sealing your ceilings.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.