Table of Contents
Once it comes to high-quality appliances, LG is one of the top brands nowadays and its series of front-load washers is the proof. Made for the demands of modern homeowners and built to last, front-load washers made by LG rarely fail to please. However, in the course of operation, front-load washers of the South Korean brand still experience issues such as leaking. Since leakage is messy if left unaddressed, people feel a great deal of frustration when they notice their LG front-load washer leaking.
How To Troubleshoot Leakage In LG Front-Load Washers
Your LG front-load washer keeps leaking water and you have no idea what to do with it? In that case, you have to take a look at this article. Down below is a guide with all the details about troubleshooting leakage in LG front-load washers.
Examine The Door Gasket
Following each washing cycle, quite a few things could accumulate inside the door gasket of washing machines: hair, thread, detergent, … Over time, the door gasket would become compromised which prevents it from providing a tight seal. Thus, if you have used your LG front-load washer for a long time, give its door gasket a look if it starts leaking. Assuming that the door gasket is responsible for the leakage, the situation should improve after you fix the door gasket.
In the beginning, use a mixture of water and vinegar to clean the door gasket. Remember to pull the gasket to clean underneath it as well. Next, clean the inside of the door, especially the area where the door meets the frame. Finally, load some clothes, run a test cycle and determine whether leakage persists.
Clean The Drain Filter
For your information, the drain filter of washing machines is there to hold back contaminants during the draining of water. If the drain filter is working as designed, your washer would have an easy time draining the water. On the other hand, if the drain filter runs into problems, the draining process is going to suffer. Needless to say, when washing machines fail to drain water, leakage is one of the potential consequences.
- Step 1: Shut down the washer, unplug it and open the service panel to the drain filter
- Step 2: Locate the drain hose beside the pump, unclip it and remove water inside
- Step 3: Twist the drain filter to the left to remove it
- Step 4: Grab a soft brush to clean the filter
- Step 5: Put the filter back then turn it to the right to secure it
Check Out The Hoses
Hoses like inlet hoses and drain hose manage water going in and out of washers in the course of operation. Naturally, if the hoses act up, a wide range of issues may occur including leakage. Because of that, to be thorough, you have to hoses to the list of suspects once it comes to LG front-load washer leaking. On the bright side, you rarely have to do much to tackle issues with hoses in washing machines.
- Step 1: Assess the exterior of the hoses. Keep an eye out for holes, cracks, kinks and so on as you go along the length of the hoses.
- Step 2: Take a look at the hose connections. In the case that the hoses seem loose, proceed to secure them.
- Step 3: Test the hoses for clogs. By running water through the hose, you could decide if the leakage is the result of clogs and take measures to unclog them.
Wash The Detergent Dispenser
As the name suggests, the detergent dispenser adds detergent into the tub to improve cleaning efficiency and effectiveness of wash cycles. Theoretically, detergent would drop into the water after leaving the detergent dispenser. Still, in reality, it’s not uncommon for detergents to get stuck by the deterrent dispenser and that leads to blockages. Small blockages should create minor problems but when the blockages prove too big, leakage ensures.
To clear blockages in the detergent dispenser of washers, you have to wash it. First, pull out the dispenser, press and hold in the tab in between the compartments then get it out. Second, take the dispenser apart, soak the components in hot water and scrub them using a soft brush. Third, re-assemble the dispense, place it back in its location and push it in until you hear a “click”.
Preempting Leakage In Washers: Suggestions
All washing machines including those made by LG sometimes develop a number of hiccups as they work. Nonetheless, by implementing several precautions, you should be able to minimize the odds of leakage.
- Stick to HE detergents: In case you don’t know, HE stands for High Efficiency. Compared to standard detergents, HE detergents seldom create significant suds so there is no need to worry about overflow. Moreover, HE detergents tend to dissolve completely which eliminates the hassle of wiping residue. Thus, if you only use HE detergents for your washing machine, you could avoid a host of troubles.
- Calculate the loads wisely: Plenty of homeowners have a habit of overloading their washers to go through the laundry quickly. That being said, if you put too many clothes into your washing machine, the strain on the components inevitably increases which leads to all sorts of risks. That is why it’s a good idea to spend some time determining the best load for each washing cycle. Don’t hesitate to split the loads to maintain a smooth operation.
- Keep the washer level: In layman’s terms, the orientation of a washing machine affects its performance. If you set up your washer on an uneven surface, it would experience difficulties while processing clothes. Hence, it’s strongly recommended that you place your washing machine on level ground. In the case that you have to position your appliance in a less than ideal spot, feel free to adjust its feet to compensate.
How long do LG washers last?
From usage to maintenance, an assortment of factors dictate the lifespan of LG washing machines. If you take good care of your washer, it’s going to serve you for well over a decade before you must find its replacement. Nonetheless, there is a chance that you have to conduct repair due to issues like LG front-load washer leaking. Depending on the situation, you may even need to swap out components.
What kind of warranty could I expect from LG?
Regarding post-purchase support, policies change between models but LG usually provides replacement parts to the customers for a limited amount of time. However, when certain parts sustain damages, homeowners have to purchase new ones by themselves. Also, after the first year, those that grab LG washers need to handle the labor by themselves so keep that in mind. In any case, you should read through the owner’s manual, get to know the warranty details and contact LG if you need more information.
Do front-load washers take more time to wash clothes than their top-load counterparts?
All in all, the wash cycle of front-load washers is longer than that of top-load ones. On average, a front-load washer requires between 70 and 120 minutes to process a load of clothes.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.