Table of Contents
Owing to their influence on the aesthetics of the interior, walls receive special attention from modern homeowners during home renovations. Nowadays, people could opt for all sorts of walls but two styles reign at the top of the list: smooth and textured. Both styles of walls give a good account of themselves in use so they earn a shower of praises. That being said, due to differences in preferences, it’s not uncommon to see conflicting opinions once it comes to smooth vs. textured walls.
An Analysis Of The Walls
Need some help as you have a hard time making up your mind between smooth and textured walls? Then this article is for you. Down below is all the information that you have to consider about the styles of walls before deciding which one to use.
Overviews Of Smooth And Textured Walls
- Smooth Walls: As the name suggests, smooth walls look smooth from the outside. At the moment, smooth walls see extensive use in a wide range of residences from traditional to contemporary. To rate the smoothness of smooth walls, people use a 5-level scale with 5 being the most smooth. In terms of colors, it’s possible to get smooth walls in all sorts of colors.
- Textured Walls: The textured appearance of textured walls is the reason why they get their name. Regarding the ability to keep flaws out of sight, textured walls often have few competitors. In addition, textured walls add personality to the rooms and that is why they excel at making statements. Compared to their smooth counterparts, textured walls make it easiest for homeowners to work up a theme.
Characteristics Of The Walls: A Comparison
Overall, the cost of smooth and textured walls changes every now and then but on average, textured walls tend to be the more expensive ones. Even if homeowners go for Level-5 smooth walls, they still won’t have to spend as much money as they would for standard textured walls. In the case that people intend to hire some professionals for the project, the difference in cost could get wider. Needless to say, a lot of cost-conscious homeowners believe smooth walls to be the winners in smooth vs. textured walls.
To apply smooth walls, all people need to have is a combination of paints and paintbrushes. While the application of smooth walls is no child’s play, people have no trouble correcting mistakes when a need arises. On the other hand, textured walls require a number of skills to apply and it’s tedious to correct mistakes. Last but not least, if painting is necessary, a smooth wall is more repetitive to paint layers than a textured one.
Assuming that people manage to come up with a proper set of decors, textured walls should be excellent additions to residences. Unsurprisingly, for homeowners that desire trendy interiors, the ones that come out on top in smooth vs. textured walls would be textured walls. Still, it’s worth pointing out that textured walls require a lot of work to stay up-to-date. If you don’t have much time to spare for decoration, you need to stick to smooth walls.
Generally speaking, you don’t have to do much to keep smooth and textured walls clean as time passes by. However, the dips and dents on textured walls usually allow dirt to build up quickly so they require regular cleaning. Also, the bumps of textured walls mean you cannot clean them using simple up and down swipes as with smooth walls. Because of that, once it comes to ease of maintenance, most homeowners nowadays rate smooth walls above textured ones.
How To Choose Between Smooth And Textured Walls
With different people looking for different things in their walls, there is no consensus on smooth vs. textured walls. That being said, if you want to get your money’s worth, you should take a look at these tips and trips.
- Think about the interior: You only need no-nonsense walls that could blend in over time? In that case, you have to consider going for smooth walls. On the other hand, if your goal is a trendy interior, you won’t regret choosing textured walls for your household.
- Keep expense in mind: Between smooth and textured walls, textured walls cost more to apply, remove, repaint, etc. Hence, while choosing the style for your walls, it’s strongly recommended that you give expense some thought. Feel free to select whatever style you like if you have money to spend. Nonetheless, if your wallet is kind of tight, you may want to pick smooth walls to save a couple of bucks.
- Take cleaning into account: The cleaning requirements of walls dictate the time and effort that you must spend on the maintenance of your residence. As a result, you should include cleaning in your list of criteria. If you have a lot of time to care for your walls, you could take advantage of the aesthetics of textured walls. Otherwise, go for smooth walls to dedicate your attention to more pressing matters.
Is it possible to get rid of textured walls?
If you don’t like the textured walls of your house, you could remove them using a number of methods: sanding, replacing wallpapers, removing drywalls, … Each of the methods involves distinct preparation and execution so you have to get ready in advance. In the case that you want to convert textured walls into smooth walls, you should spread a layer of joint compound over the surface. The joint compound is going to fill the valleys in the texture which leads to a smooth profile.
How long do smooth and textured walls last?
With proper care, smooth and textured walls would last for years to come in normal conditions. Thus, regardless of the style you use, you don’t have to worry too much about the longevity of your walls. However, there is a good chance that you have to conduct minor repairs from time to time.
What should I use to clean walls?
To clean walls, a combination of water and soap is adequate for most of the time. Also, it’s possible to use cleaning solutions in times of need but you should be thorough. The last thing you want to do is to damage your walls and their paint by using incompatible products.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.