A wide range of factors affects the values of dining tables in use: size, weight, features and of course, material. With the differences in preferences, people tend to be at odds about the best material for today’s dining tables. That being said, most modern homeowners think highly of wood and glass as they manage to balance look and functions. Needless to say, the winner in wood vs. glass dining table is something that many people want to know prior to committing to a purchase.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Wood And Glass
You have a hard time making up your mind between wood and glass dining tables? If that is the case then this article may be able to help you out. Down below, you would find everything you must keep in mind about the characteristics of wood and glass.
- Ageless: All things considered, wood is one of the few materials that never go out of fashion, especially in the world of furniture. With the grain, the color and so on, wood is capable of providing a cozy atmosphere which is a big plus in dinnertime.
- High endurance: Wood could withstand rough use day after day and still stay in good condition for quite a few years. That is why it’s not unheard of for several generations of a family to use the same wood dining tables.
- Easy to repair: As time passes by, household furniture often suffer an assortment of damages: scratches, dents, etc. Fortunately, if your dining table happens to be made from wood, you don’t have to do much work to bring it back to top shape. Assuming that you have the right tools and skills, you would be able to repair most damages that your wood dining table sustains.
- Fantastic level of safety: While splinters remain a concern, wood is fairly safe to handle. Wood won’t shatter if dropped from heights and even when it breaks apart for some reason, the clean-up job is usually worry-free.
- A lot of options exist: Nowadays, dining tables incorporate various species of woods: walnut, oak, maple, mahogany, … Each of the species possesses unique properties so you can choose one that suits you most with relative ease.
- Susceptible to water damages: It’s common knowledge that water and wood don’t mix well. Though wood dining tables may deal with occasional water splashes, prolonged exposure to water would lead to damages. As water and other sorts of liquids regularly appear in dinnertime, water damages prove to be the ever-present threat to dining tables.
- Bulky and cumbersome: In use, dining tables have to accommodate the weight of multiple dishes at the same time so capacity is an important consideration for table manufacturers. Despite the fact that wood is pretty tough, manufacturers often thicken their wood dining tables to minimize the odds of structural failures. As a result, modern dining tables that integrate wood have a bulky and cumbersome body.
- Cost: Wood dining tables reach the market across the price points but if you care about quality, you need to spend a lot of money. It’s ill-advised to grab dirt-cheap products and save a couple of bucks as that increases the replacement expense in the long run.
- Slim and sleek: Featuring an elegant profile, glass dining tables have an easy time blending in and that is advantageous. Moreover, the handling of dining tables made from glass is superb so getting them into position is child’s play.
- Simple to clean: Glass is a non-absorbent material which means once it comes to spillage, glass dining tables take a couple of moments to clean. There is no need to worry about stains as well.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Thanks to the transparency, dining tables that incorporate glass tend to add a nice touch to the room. Capable of reflecting light, glass could light up your dining space without difficulty.
- Irreparable: Compared to wood, glass is resilient but if your glass dining table experiences damages, it’s impossible to carry out repairs. The best you can do is to cut out the damaged area assuming that it isn’t too big. However, if the damages prove extensive, you have no other choice but to replace the entire table.
- Injury risk: When broken into fragments, glass is able to inflict serious injuries if people forget to pay attention. In the case that you have to take care of kids, pets and the elderly, you must take proper precautions before adding a glass dining table.
- Coordination: The appeal of glass dining tables is undeniable but the glass also requires significant coordination effort. For instance, everyone could see through the transparent glass so you need to ensure that your flooring is adequate.
Choosing The Material For Dining Tables: Suggestions
To put it plainly, wood as well as glass boast distinct attributes that make one of them more suitable than the other in particular settings. Hence, regarding the one that comes out on top in wood vs. glass dining table, homeowners nowadays don’t have a unanimous opinion. Nonetheless, if you wish to make a wise investment, take a look at these tips and tricks
Think about the location
If you have trouble determining whether to go with wood or glass, it’s widely advised that you take the location into account. From available space to distance to door, details about the spot where you plan to set up your dining table should help you decide. Be thorough and you would eventually deduce the winner of wood vs. glass dining table for your case.
Keep maintenance in mind
All dining tables need a certain level of maintenance to preserve their appearance as time passes by. All it takes is a second of carelessness and your wood dining table would end up with scratches but it’s repairable. In the case of glass, it’s more difficult to scratch but there is no way to repair glass if it’s scratched.
Consider the shopping budget
From entry-level products to high-end models, many tables incorporate glass, wood or a mix of both. Give your shopping budget some thought before making up your mind to make sure that your money is well-spent.
Hi, I am Matthew Thompson. I have a special love of repairing house and taking care of my small garden. From 2015, I decided to write more about home improvement, repairing – fixing anything in a common house to help people understand & know how to upgrade their own one. With 7 years working in writing for home & garden, I am really happy if any one could drop a comment about my knowledge.
It could be not correct in your case but if you let me know, I am willing to update my article with your recommendation.